My Family got COVID-19!

A few weeks ago, in early July, an employee at my husband’s work tested positive for COVID-19. She was asymptomatic and only got tested because her boyfriend had tested positive. My husband had worked with this employee recently and he soon started having symptoms. It took him eight days to get his test results back. By then, he was starting to feel better and I was starting to have symptoms. Luckily our 12-year old daughter only had a headache and felt kind of sluggish for a day or two. On the other hand, my husband and I both had fever, body aches, chills, trouble breathing, and felt like we could not do anything.

I think my husband felt like that for about a week, but mine lasted closer to two. I think I handled it a little worse, because anything you already have it makes worse. I already have Anxiety, so that got worse including upset stomach symptoms. I have a pinched nerve and my back and for a couple days that pain came back at its worst in a while and was unbearable. The pain comes and goes but any time I am sick or stressed it usually comes. I also have gotten walking pneumonia a lot the last few years so between that and the anxiety, that might be why I felt like something was on my chest for a while and it was hard to breathe. My daughter was so sweet and checked on me often, and even gave me a bell to ring in case I needed her.

Our cases were still mild and we were never hospitalized. American Family Care provided some cough syrup and an inhaler. We stayed in our house for a couple of weeks, but unfortunately had already spread it to my nieces unknowingly, but luckily no one else. They did not get as sick as my husband and I did, but they got a little worse than my daughter did. They are a little older than her, but still only teenagers. They each spread it to their best friend, but as far as I know the spread stopped there. They tried to stay away from my sister, because she is high risk and luckily she and her husband never caught it. I was also glad we had not spread it to our parents or my grandmother. We actually did not go on a family vacation with some of my husband’s family due to us having the virus. I had to put off starting my new job one week. The preschool I used to work at closed permanently due to the virus, but I found a job at another one closer to home.

I finally started my new job and my first day there, they had to close for a week due to an employee testing positive. We did get to come in some later in the week to help clean and do some training, and we were able to open back up the next week. It was actually kind of nice to have another week to recoup, because I still got easily winded doing basic things. It was days before I could even take the dogs for a short walk again, but by my second week at work this week, I feel back to normal finally. It reminds me of the time I got walking pneumonia and bronchitis at the same time (except this was worse). I was so sick that time, my husband had to drive me back to the doctor for a second visit. I had gotten used to taking the stairs at my work. We were on the 5th floor and I would take them several times a day in the morning, evening and at lunch normally. I could not do this after I was sick. It was too hard to start all over again on working my way towards doing it again.

Even after all of this, I am still one of the lucky ones.  Until this I did not even know anyone who had the virus, I only knew of others through people I knew. I have had some close to me lose people close to them, but now I have known a few people with the virus. Of course I hope this means we are immune at least for a little while, but apparently they are not even sure if that is the case. Even if it was mild again, I would not want to go through that a second time before they come up with a vaccine. I have never had the flu before but I still normally get the vaccine every year, so I will definitely want the one for this. I just hope it comes out soon. My daughter is doing virtual learning for now and is actually enjoying working at her own pace in her pajamas, but I want her to eventually go back to school, and I want to eventually not have to wear a mask at work.  I also do not want anyone else to get sick or lose loved ones to this, but it looks like it may be a while before this all ends. On a positive note I guess, I have only smoked a few times socially, but I have not since the last time I had walking pneumonia. After having this as well, I honestly cannot imagine ever doing it again.

Bio: Amanda Dodson Gremillion published her first book in 2012. She began revising it in 2019 and republished it as Just Buy Her A Dress and She’ll Be Fine. The story chronicles her experience with severe postpartum OCD, anxiety and depression. Amanda is a graduate of Auburn University, and now lives in Calera, Alabama, with her husband, Jay, their daughter, Aubrie, and their two dogs, Honey Girl and Cooper. She hopes to write more books in the future. Follow Amanda’s journey on Facebook,  or twitter at and order her book here.  Also, follow her on the Mighty here Amanda Dodson Gremillion | The Mighty Contributor or listen to her podcast here Just Buy Her A Dress and She’ll Be Fine • A podcast on Anchor . You can also find her on Instagram here Amanda Dodson Gremillion (@justbuyheradress) • Instagram photos and videos.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s